Wednesday 10 February 2016

SKIING FOR PARKINSON’S

My wife has been skiing and broke her shoulder and dislocated it too, thus removing her from the slopes on her first day. As a qualified pessimist I told her that ‘I told you so’. She regarded this as unhelpful.

The fact that she can only use one arm (the other is in a sling) is very inconvenient. For example, she claims not to be able to make me a pot of tea; she can’t drive me around; she can’t walk the dog (though this is debated).

It was her idea to force me to go skiing with her, taking the dog for my companion.


The (main) trouble with my wife is that you just can’t argue with her, or you can but she takes no notice. Which I suppose adds up to the same thing. Not that I’m a misogynist, mind you.

So I used the tried and tested method of not saying anything to her, but instead working on (ie bribing) her children who are my step children and asking them to work on their mum by taking pity on a weak and weary Parkinson’s sufferer.

Of course I need to say why I didn’t want to go skiing. Well:

1. It’s cold and wet and my body thermometer is unreliable resulting in hot flushes (which my wife is, of course, an expert on)

2. It’s icy, and thanks to PD, I lack ability to balance

3. It’s expensive and I’ve had to retire in the face of the shaky wobbles

4. The dog hates snow

5. The beer’s rubbish

6. I can’t ski

7. ....that’s all...

Thankfully I was allowed to stay at home. We PD Warriors can be sensitive too.

Meanwhile news from the PD Warrior fitness circuit class is that, to keep our brains engaged, we are encouraged to chant examples from a particular topic such as capital cities, actors, sights worth a detour, football teams, makes of car and so on. Personally I’m looking forward to types of savoury biscuit, Shakespeare’s plays, crisp flavours and so on.


I have also picked up a leaflet on dancing with PD. There’s an interesting thought, given my history of learning salsa and rock n’ roll. Or not learning.

In the pub we talked about indentured labour, the shortage of NHS dentists, Chelsea FC, the royal household, 4x4 vehicles at the school gate, Scottish football, the economy and oil prices, the state pension, skiing injuries, my wife, Bob’s allotment in winter and students in general. No topic was debated as fervently as that of ‘whose round is it?’.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Peter, did you see this very encouraging report about the latest developments on dealing with Parkinson's, on the BBC? Here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35734888
    PNB

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the blurb which accompanies the above clip on the BBC website:
    5 March 2016 Finding hope in Parkinson's disease treatments:
    'After being diagnosed with Parkinson's disease five years ago, comedy writer Paul Mayhew-Archer decided to find out what was being done to develop treatments. He witnessed a new procedure which counteracts tremors, a main symptom of the disease, and went to meet one of its beneficiaries. Patients undergoing Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) have small wires inserted into their brains. A constant electrical pulse is then administered to the organ - which changes brain activity and can reduce the symptoms of Parkinson's disease.'

    ReplyDelete

  3. I was suffering from Parkinson's since 2016 & life had become disastrous for me,72 % of my body was covered by Tremors.After taking product from www.ultimateherbalclinic.com under supervision of Dr Ernest Albrecht, I started getting results within 3 weeks of their dosage .One day I got extremely sick, could not keep anything down, difficulty standing, restless sleep,I Started taking this remedies 2 times daily Morning and Evening, I am writing this to inform others that nothing was really working to help my PD other than this product.I went off my previous medications (with the doctor's knowledge) and started on their Parkinson's disease herbal formula.Treatment went very well and tremors are gone.

    ReplyDelete