Sunday 17 April 2016

COMBATING PARKINSON’S: BY LEARNING FRENCH

My name is Peter Jackson and in June 2013 I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease, or Bloody Parkinson’s as I call it. And in case you hadn’t noticed, Bloody Parkinson’s is also the name of this blog. Note too that the opinions are all mine and therefore not entirely reliable. 

Parkinson’s attacks the central nervous system, reducing the brain’s ability to control movement. PD is something most of us have heard of: associated with tremors and stiffness, incurable and crippling with lots to look forward to, like blindness, deafness, squeaky voice, choking and a wheelchair (actually, haha, it’s not as bad as all that!).

However, there is also a risk that my cognitive and memory functions will deteriorate as PD progresses; so you have to use these functions and stretch them, just as muscles need a stretch too. 

PD is like experiencing an accelerated old age. So with the support of wife and family I drew up a strategy to fight back at this shadowy enemy. Monday became fitness boot camp and a pub quiz, Wednesday Tai Chi and the pub old curmudgeons’ debating or grumbling society, Thursday circuit training, Friday swimming. Saturday and Sunday take care of themselves! Which still left a gap in the week to fit in a brain stretching activity on Tuesdays – advancing rusty school French so that I could go beyond ‘deux bieres, s’il vous plait’.


On the phone the local college reassured me that French 3 was about right for me, but that I could adjust up or down when I’d attended a session or two. What can I say but that classes have far exceeded my expectations. The teaching is amazingly good: effective, lively and fun. The class comprises an eclectic mix of friendly, funny people with a wide spread of backgrounds. My French has improved in leaps and bounds. And by the way, I can now order (but not carry) three beers in French!

I may yet renovate my remaining brain cell....


MEANWHILE AT THE PUB

At the pub last night we talked of many things, most of which I forget. But what made it memorable was the train crash which occurred at around 8pm. Not a real train crash, but there is a model train that ‘flies’ round a rail circuit above the drinkers’ heads in the main bar. The engine for once, tired of circling the hubbub, continued round and round as its only carriage was thrown out into thin air, narrowly avoiding the heads of the throng of drinkers, some of whom required another drink to aid recovery.


I’m not sure what Health and Safety would say, but for the rest of the evening the little engine steamed round the track unencumbered by his carriage and the throng went back to their beer, still muttering.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Peter, Did you hear the young chap (aged 47) talking about his Parkinson's on the today programme early this morning? It was on at 0655. He was diagnosed when he was only 40.
    Listen again here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0774ys8
    This is the blurb from the R4 website: "Nearly two fifths of people with Parkinson’s feel they must hide their symptoms or lie about having the condition, according to new findings released by the charity, Parkinson’s UK, to mark the start of Parkinson’s Awareness Week. Speaking on the programme is David Plummer, a wildlife photographer who has been diagnosed with Parkinson’s." PNB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul, thanks as ever! The blog makes me feel a lot better. I missed the radio 4 prog but spoke live to Nicky Campbell on 5 live.You can get it on the I player 'Your Call', minute 55, on 18/4/16.Peter

      Delete
  2. Felicitations pour tes efforts en français. You'll have to learn where all the accents are hidden on your keyboard next, so you can add that authentic grave accent to bières and that circumflex to s'il vous plaît! ;-) And double congratulations for using the English word 'comprise' correctly, without the dreaded 'of' which so many illiterates seem to feel compelled to add to it, incorrectly! ;-) PNB

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too listened to 5 live this am. Got an early diagnosis out of the blue whilst in Neurology for Carpal tunnel syndrome in Nov and then 4 mths later for an MRI on my neck and nerve conduction tests on my hands the consultant again got me walking and doing other tests again such as clapping hands and tapping my heels where I was aware of weakness in my L side. Total trauma to be told an early diagnosis I
    Of PD. I now await results for a brain MRI and a DaTscan in July...a long time to wait.
    Thought todays prob on 5 live was brilliant.
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynne, thank you so much for your reply. I find writing the blog exorcises some of my demons, especially if I know someone is out there reading it!
      Peter

      Delete
  4. I listened to 5Live on Monday and looked up your blog. Thanks for sharing and being inspiring, et bonne chance avec le francais!

    ReplyDelete

  5. I was suffering from Parkinson's since 2016 & life had become disastrous for me,72 % of my body was covered by Tremors.After taking product from www.ultimateherbalclinic.com under supervision of Dr Ernest Albrecht, I started getting results within 3 weeks of their dosage .One day I got extremely sick, could not keep anything down, difficulty standing, restless sleep,I Started taking this remedies 2 times daily Morning and Evening, I am writing this to inform others that nothing was really working to help my PD other than this product.I went off my previous medications (with the doctor's knowledge) and started on their Parkinson's disease herbal formula.Treatment went very well and tremors are gone.

    ReplyDelete

  6. I was suffering from Parkinson's since 2016 & life had become disastrous for me,72 % of my body was covered by Tremors.After taking product from www.ultimateherbalclinic.com under supervision of Dr Ernest Albrecht, I started getting results within 3 weeks of their dosage .One day I got extremely sick, could not keep anything down, difficulty standing, restless sleep,I Started taking this remedies 2 times daily Morning and Evening, I am writing this to inform others that nothing was really working to help my PD other than this product.I went off my previous medications (with the doctor's knowledge) and started on their Parkinson's disease herbal formula.Treatment went very well and tremors are gone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i was diagnosed of parkinson disease 5 years ago,i started azilect,then mirapex as the disease progressed in february last year,and i started on parkinson disease Herbal medicine from ultimate herbal home,few months into the treatment i made a significant recovery,almost all my symptoms are gone,great improvement with my movement and balance,it been a year and life has been so good for me,contact them at ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete