Wednesday 22 July 2015

WHAT ON EARTH AM I UP TO?

I have given my body to medical science. Twice. Not deliberately, but because of a mental aberration. It seems that i’ve given my body to the London and South East medical schools and to the Queen Square Brain Bank for Neurological Disorders. I hope to sort out this confusion before a tug of war starts


I also carry two plastic cards that state that I’m a tissue donor and what to do in the case of death ; and a Parkinson’s card that states what’s wrong and that I may have a tremor or uncontrolled movements, I may suddenly be unable to move, can be slow or unsteady on my feet, have difficulty in speaking or writing. The card ends ‘I can hear and understand you, please give me time’ (particularly if stuck in a turnstyle)



I’ve not taken all this lying down, although at times I find lying down the best thing to do. So, I’ve tried to list, in no particular order, the main things I’m doing to combat an enemy with no cure.



Tai Chi: oriental exercise regime, like martial arts in slo-mo: good for mental and physical karma and balance: links to yoga and meditation 



Mindfulness: positive thinking in the present, meditation methods, gives you a positive way of thinking and helps stop rumination



Trainer: weekly one hour session designed to give strength and flexibility. Can exercise hold back the power of PD to wear you down? I’m not certain there’s an answer, though you can certainly try. We work on walking (though not like a Lego Man!), getting up from a chair and other moves



Blogging: getting my own back on bloody Parkinson’s and sharing the load with you, dear reader



Smiling and looking up rather than down: tackling the PD tendency to look vacant and stare down at the pavement - this may sound daft but my wife has to waggle her ears to make me laugh and don’t worry if the person at the checkout thinks you are having a bad day! 



Physio: solutions to gagging reflex and trouble turning over in bed



Swimming: weightless exercise with a dose of wild swimming: below I’m coming out of the water at Filey 2 weeks ago. Brass monkeys all around......




Walking the dog: practising my new way of walking based on ankle and leg strengthening exercises and a determination to stride out and not trudge. You don’t necessarily need a dog.

Shaky right hand: half a dozen pressure balls from Amazon

Bladder control: if you have seen Still Alice you’ll have seen Julianne Moore as the Alzheimer sufferer failing to find the bathroom in time: well PD gives you similar problems! See the doc and think before you go out or leave the pub!

Staying awake: to overcome the tiredness caused by my PD I try not to stay in bed all day, though I often feel like it, and instead limit my snooze to 40 winks in an armchair

Can’t write or type: both sets of actions are limited by PD. Writing has become one long wiggly waggly illegible line and typing reverted back to 2 fingers some time ago. Even though I try to control the shakes I find myself typing the same letter several times over, so blog is often bbbbblog and so on. Practice writing in separated letters and try voice recognition

Learn French: I have joined a fabulous 2 hour a week class in French: brilliant teacher, brilliant students and learning experience. Keeps my brain cell working

To come: we are exploring sculpture classes (use of hands) and singing rock or folk (keeping the voice strong and not squeaky)

Other: I’m assured by my brother in law that Judy Dench tries to make sure she learns 3 new things a day. Mine are England are no good at cricket, not as good as the old colonies at golf and doesn’t the football season come round quick?

2 comments:

  1. Not sure if my last comment registered. Your experiences are all so familiar. Thank you for taking the time to write your blog. You are not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rich, thanks for the comment, it's my first one! Keep reading. Thanks for your support. Pete

    ReplyDelete